Saturday 30 January 2010

Scafell.


























I've been at Scafell with my Dad today. A lot of snow had gone since I was last there but it had consolidated. I climbed Moss Ghyll again, it was in very different condition to a few weeks ago. The snow was consolidated and there was ice at the Collie Step, I followed the summer line threading behind the chockstone this was the secret to making the Collie step a lot easier than last time. The sunshine also helped to make things a bit more pleasant. After Moss Ghyll, we descended Deep Ghyll and Lords Rake and then climbed Steep Ghyll. It is always nice to climb classic routes in good condition.



There were quite a few parties out today. Pisgah Buttress seemed popular as did the Cascade on the Shamrock. There was a thin sliver of ice running down Botterils Slab, which looked like it would offer good sport.


It would have been a good day for someone to repeat the Girdle Traverse.....














2 comments:

Web Design Studio said...

Hi Steve met you the other week in the epicenter, had a good chat, just wodering if you know what conditions are like for Bowfell or Dow Crag

Cheers
Ash

Steve Ashworth said...

Ash,

Sorry haven't been back in touch I have been a bit busy, not sure I think there will definately be something to climb at Bowfell.