Wednesday 19 March 2008

Top Conditions on Skye Ridge

After seeing a number reports hinting that the Skye Ridge might be in condition, (thank you Mike Lates) I thought it was time to go and have a closer look. Leaving the car at 5am yesterday, I left the summit of Sgurr Nan Gillean at 7am. The snow conditions were near perfect hard enough to take a placement but soft enough to allow quick descending, a set of tracks seemed to be taking a good line which was a bonus. In a few showers visibility disappeared for periods but on the whole it was a clear sunny day. I reached the Innacessible pinnacle at 12:15, it was a bit breezy but again it gave just the right combination of firm enough snow and the rock on the arete was dry having been in the sun. I lost a bit of time here and there not having been further than Bruach Na Frithe before, I lost the most time at the TD gap climbing out of the far side to see that it would probably be quicker to go down and round so I rapped back into the gap. I down climbed most obstacles abseiling from Kings Cave Chimney to get off Bastier Tooth, From the top of The Inn Pin, down Kings Chimney and into the TD gap. I reached Gars Bheinn at 16:07 and was back at Glen Brittle for 18:00. I used a combination of 2 tools and a set of poles. I had crampons on from the ascent to Gillean to the ridge leading up to Gars Bhienn where the snow was soft after being in the Sun.

No comments: